Black Storm-petrel hoards also off Del Mar, May 25

Susan Smith

Just a note to add to Stan's report, and those of others who reported high numbers  of Black Storm-petrels earlier off La Jolla. They continue indeed to the north of La Jolla.  Today, May 25, a little after noon, I noted 1010 Black Storm-petrels off Torrey Pines State Beach in Del Mar, scoping from the Penasquitos River mouth, and calculating in tens doing a  single horizon sweep from south to north. Most birds were distant near the horizon, but behavior and shape discernable through my scope. No doubt this was an undercount, since I was only counting birds on the eastern edge of the flock.  
  Happy storm-petreling, 

Susan Smith 
Seiurus Biological  Consulting 
Del Mar, CA 
seiurus@...

-----Original Message-----
To: sandiegoregionbirding <sandiegoregionbirding@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, May 25, 2019 11:07 am
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla Cove, May 25: 1500+ black storm-petrels

After watching the number of storm-petrels dwindle to almost none yesterday evening, I was surprised to see that this morning the black-storm petrels had returned to the Cove.
Widely scattered with many, many over the rough water of the canyon to the north.
But about 1500 or so between shore and the canyon.

Sooty shearwaters only far out. A few black-vented shearwaters.
No boobies.

Stan Walens, San Diego
May 25, 2019; 10:00 am3

--
Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological Consulting
Del Mar, CA

Join SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.