La Jolla Cove, May 7, 2019: 2 white-winged scoters, other late migrants

Stan Walens

I spent a short day at the Cove today, only 2-1/2 hours in the morning and another 2 hours in the afternoon.
Brown boobies have been regular all day long in the extensive feeding flocks offshore.
The only tubenose I’ve seen in 3 days is 1 sooty shearwater today.

Small numbers of loons are still migrating north, especially in the afternoons, but not in the numbers of last week.
Today about 170 Pacific loons, 5 commons and 3 red-throateds.

2 1st-cycle herring gulls and 1 1st-cycle glaucous-winged gulls were a nice sight.

Best birds of the day were a pair of adult male white-winged scoters migrating north.
I think, off the top of my head, that this may be by a matter of 3 or 4 weeks the latest sighting in the county of white-winged scoters migrating in spring.

Stan Walens, San Diego
May 7, 2019; 9:00 pm