Extremely late Nelson's Sparrow

Brennan Mulrooney

This morning (4/30/2019) while conducting Belding's Savannah Sparrow surveys in San Elijo Lagoon I detected a singing Nelson's Sparrow. Unfortunately the bird is hanging out in a section of the lagoon that is closed due to the ongoing construction/restoration. There was at least one report of a Nelson's Sparrow from this location over the winter, so it's possible that this is a continuing bird, but wintering birds usually leave our area by early March. I will try to check back in the coming days and weeks (in the course of my work in the lagoon) to see if the bird hangs on into summer.

My photos are on my eBird list:

Brennan Mulrooney
Santee, CA

--