From: SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io [mailto:SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io] On Behalf Of Philip Unitt
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2019 7:20 AM
To: 'SanDiegoRegionBirding' <sandiegoregionbirding@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Quick update

Dear friends,

The story on the Northern Parula is that it landed on a boat and the boater notified Cristin Kelly, captain of the Privateer and owner of San Diego Whale Watch. Cristin sent the pictures to Sula Vanderplank who sent them to me. Apparently the bird died and will be delivered to the museum today—let’s hope it’s in condition good enough to be prepared as a specimen.

Sula, Scott Tremor, and I were on the Privateer with Cristin yesterday. Not too many birds, but about 10 to 12 pairs of Scripps’s Murrelets, plus at least one Sooty Shearwater and 4 Pink-footed Shearwaters (a few more distant unidentified shearwaters). Good views of one fin whale (part of a pod of possibly as many as 4). Tood bad I didn’t get onto a possible minke whale seen briefly, but then we were distracted by the fin whales.

Good birding,

Philip Unitt

San Diego