Northern Parula: Final chapter

Philip Unitt

Dear friends,

Cici Sayer and Cristin Kelly brought the Northern Parula found on CiCi’s boat to the museum this morning, and Lea Squires prepared it beautifully: first specimen of the Northern Parula for San Diego County. The boat was 8.7 miles off Ocean Beach when the Parula came aboard yesterday 28 April. The specimen is now catalog number 56266 in the ornithological collection of the San Diego Natural History Museum. Thanks to CiCi, Cristin, and Sula Vanderplank for ensuring that this valuable specimen did not go to waste.

Good birding,

Philip Unitt

San Diego

From: SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io [mailto:SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io] On Behalf Of Philip Unitt
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2019 7:20 AM
To: 'SanDiegoRegionBirding' <sandiegoregionbirding@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Quick update

Dear friends,

The story on the Northern Parula is that it landed on a boat and the boater notified Cristin Kelly, captain of the Privateer and owner of San Diego Whale Watch. Cristin sent the pictures to Sula Vanderplank who sent them to me. Apparently the bird died and will be delivered to the museum today—let’s hope it’s in condition good enough to be prepared as a specimen.

Sula, Scott Tremor, and I were on the Privateer with Cristin yesterday. Not too many birds, but about 10 to 12 pairs of Scripps’s Murrelets, plus at least one Sooty Shearwater and 4 Pink-footed Shearwaters (a few more distant unidentified shearwaters). Good views of one fin whale (part of a pod of possibly as many as 4). Tood bad I didn’t get onto a possible minke whale seen briefly, but then we were distracted by the fin whales.

Good birding,

Philip Unitt

San Diego

From: SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io [mailto:SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io] On Behalf Of Barbara via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2019 6:08 AM
To: SanDiegoRegionBirding <sandiegoregionbirding@groups.io>; Birding San Diego <birdingsandiego@groups.io>
Cc: SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Quick update

Hi all,

Quick notes:

Someone got a Northern Parula on a boat!  Awesome get!

We need a photo of Sora or a recording. Likewise, Ridgeway's Rail. Also Red-throated Loon or Pacific Loon.

Any Tricolored Blackbirds anyone? 

Some eBirder had a Summer Tanager at Scissor's Crossing. Got photos? Likewise with Plumbeous Vireo? Any left in the county?  Barn Swallow?

I couldn't get a photo of Ladder-backed Woodpecker yesterday. Need one of those. How about Cactus Wren?

Thanks! 

Barbara Carlson

San Diego

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.