Re: Townsend's solitaire at old mission da

Christopher Adler

This morning I was lucky to be parking at Mission Trails just as Paul sent out the message 
about the Townsend's Solitaire, so I was able to get on that quickly and then loop around 
Oak Canyon and the grasslands later in the morning. I saw some of what Eitan saw, but not all. 

Also good were:
Yellow-breasted Chat
Lark Sparrows
Warbling Vireo
Costa's Hummingbird on a nest
Many singing Bell's Vireos
Rather rough-looking moulty Golden-crowned Sparrows, Lincoln's Sparrow and Hutton's Vireo

It's also a great year for butterflies, unsurprisingly. Up the in the grasslands were many Common Buckeye, 
duskywing and metalmark butterflies. 

Christopher Adler
Allied Gardens

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 12:39 PM Eitan Altman <eitanaltman@...> wrote:
Wasn’t able to get out of the house until about 10:30 am but thankfully was able to refind Paul’s continuing TOWNSEND’S SOLITAIRE in the vicinity of the picnic tables just before the dam. 

After shooting the breeze with the Palomar Audubon group that was just finishing their morning, I wandered down the road a bit looking for migrants / arrivals and was pleased to find a HAMMOND’S FLYCATCHER  flitting in the mid levels of a sycamore about 100 yds east of the entrance to the dam parking lot. 

Other nice sightings including a pair of male Lazuli Buntings perched high up while waiting for the TOSO to show, two signing Yellow Warblers, several Black-chinned Hummers staking out breeding territory, an Ash-throated Flycatcher, and a Black-throated Gray Warbler. 

Eitan Altman
San Carlos

On Apr 6, 2019, at 8:44 AM, lehman.paul@... via Groups.Io <lehman.paul@...> wrote:

Saturday morning there is a cooperative Townsend solitaire hanging out at old mission dam right next to the dam proper along the main dirt path. There are two circular garbage cans next to each other, one blue for recycling and one black. Check the berry-laden mistletoe in this area as well as the several big sycamore trees as well, as the bird goes back and forth between them.

Paul Lehman,. San Diego

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
Get the new AOL app: mail.mobile.aol.com

--
..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
..... ..... ..... ..... christopher adler
..... ..... composer / performer / improviser
..... ..... professor / U of san diego
..... ..... ..... www.christopheradler.com
..... ..... ..... mailto:c@...

Join SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.