Late Western Kingbird at San Elijo Lagoon

Brennan Mulrooney

Today while surveying waterbirds at San Elijo Lagoon, Jimmy McMorran and I found a Western Kingbird in the East Basin. The bird was foraging near a Cassin's Kingbird below the bluff accessed from the end of Santa Carina. This is a few days later than the latest fall record in the Bird Atlas. It will be interesting to see if the bird is a going to stick for the winter or move on like the Vermilion Flycatcher we found there in late September. Distant, fuzzy, phonescoped docu-shots are on my eBird list: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49742373

Brennan Mulrooney
Santee, CA

--
Brennan Mulrooney