Re: FRNC - lots interesting birds, Sep 24, 2018

Lisa Ruby

Hi,

Sorry for the extra e-mails. Just discovered I did NOT see a BAY-BREASTED WARBLER, I saw a CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER, which is what I had put in my eBird report. A few people contacted me to ask if I had meant to put Bay-Breasted in my eBird report. The eBird report was correct, and my information in my original post was incorrect. Have a couple of crappy photos that are good enough for the ID of Chestnut-sided.

Lisa Ruby
Sabre Springs

On 9/24/2018 7:19 PM, Lisa Ruby wrote:
Hi,

I arrived at FRNC around 12:20 pm this afternoon and stayed until almost 5:00. It was still pretty birdy in the northeast corner.

Saw the EASTERN KINGBIRD twice (1:09 pm and 2:27pm), on headstones in front of the wall where the ashes urns are kept. This is where the
black chain link fence stops and the wall starts. It stuck around for a few minutes both times.Numbers I remember on the wall were 30 and 60.

Thanks to Mel, I also saw one of the BAY-BREASTED WARBLERS in the northmost ficus tree near the fence in the northeast section.

Later in the afternoon I saw and photographed what I believe was a CASSIN'S VIREO in a scraggly looking pine tree between the committal shelter and the road.

The same group of 2 BLACK-AND_WHITE WARBLERS, 2 or 3 WARBLING VIREOS, 2 WILSON's WARBLERS, 2 BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS (one was very, very pale), and at least one TOWNSEND's WARLBER seemed to follow each other around the Chinese Elms near the northeast section the entire time
I was there. We kept finding them together in different trees. There were also a few WESTERN TANAGERS around, at least one BLACK-HEADED GROSBREAK, and one or two PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHERS.

I was unable to locate any of the Clay-colored Sparrows. My current nemesis bird.

Lists, will post photos to them later:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48724185
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48724987

Lisa Ruby
Sabre Springs

On 9/24/2018 10:19 AM, Gary Nunn wrote:
At Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery this morning and a good show of rarer migrants.

American Redstart, imm male, and Tennessee Warbler, both found by Jim Pawlicki.

Chestnut-sided Warbler and two Clay-colored Sparrows found by John Sterling.  Also a bright a Cassin’s Vireo and MacGillivray’s Warbler.

Northeast section seems most lively with migrant warblers.

White-winged Dove at the point, Cabrillo National Monument, also by Jim Pawlicki.

Gary Nunn,
Pacific Beach.

--
Lisa Ruby