additional details regarding today's Dickcissel

David Holway

Hi all,

I wanted to provide some additional details about the Dickcissel seen today (22 Sep 2018) at Fiesta Island. I was first alerted to the presence of this bird by its distinctive call note. I was standing under the Eucalyptus trees in the central part of the dog run, and heard the Dickcissel call about five times starting at 910 am. I know this call from birding in Texas in migration; flight calls on Xeno-Canto sound exactly like what I heard. I moved out from under the trees to the west to see if I could see the bird. I looked for about a minute before spotting it on an exposed branch near the top of the tree. Unfortunately I was able to get a only a brief, side-view look at the Dickcissel before it took flight. I thus was unable to obtain a photo. This bird appeared fairly bright. I did see that it had a yellowish upper breast and a rusty shoulder.

I watched the Dickcissel fly west but soon lost sight of it. I spent about 30 min walking around the northern part of the dog run to see if I could relocate it but did not. Hopefully it will come back.

I saw little else of note this morning out there. There were small numbers of Savannah Sparrows and Horned Larks.

Cheers,

David