June 15 Swainson's Thrush at Dixon Lake, Escondido

Greg Gillson <greggillson@...>

Last Friday I heard at least one Swainson’s Thrush “whitting” away in the willow tangle near the footbridge down to Jack Creek Cove from the Jack Creek Picnic area. My research finds that this date would be 3 days later than the late date given in the Bird Atlas for a migrant. It could also be a breeding bird, but at a new location somewhat inland of most other records in the NW corner of the county at the southernmost portion of this species’ breeding range.

In case you want to check it out, I birded the picnic grounds, down to Jack Creek Cove, and back on the Chaparral Nature Trail.

No fee is charged on weekdays.

eBird list:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46563750

Site Guide to Dixon Lake