Kumeyaay Lake crazy morn

phil Pryde

You can add one more name to the list of locations that is mind-blowingly crawling with migrants right now:  the west basin of Kumeyaay Lake in Mission Trails Regional Park.

I hiked around the west basin on the circuit trail that goes around it, and in 50 minutes (7:50 - 8:40 a.m. Sat. morning) came up with the following:
    8 species of warblers:
           Black-thr. Gray  (5-6)
           Townsend’s (3)
           Wilson’s (at least 12-15)
           Hermit (1)
           Nashville (1) (I didn’t get a great view, but it definitely had an eye-ring, white on the belly, and a yellow throat.)
           Orange-crowned (1)
           Yellow (1 male seen, 2 heard)
           C. Yellowthroat (several heard in the reeds)
    3, maybe 4, species of Vireos:
           Bell’s (at least 2 heard calling)
           Warbling (2)
           Hutton’s (1 that was bug-snarfing right in front of me at eye level.  Also possibly a 2nd one calling.)
           Maybe  a Plumbeous, but not positive.  It had a big eye-ring and wing-bars, but wouldn’t cooperate.
Also along the circuit trail:
           Western Tanager
           Western Wood-pewee (very close and cooperative)
           Chat (heard)
           B-H Grosbeak(s)
As well as all the usual suspects.
Plus, the cherry on the sundae as I was leaving the lake area:  a Least Bittern flew across the pond.
No orioles or Swainson’s Thrushes.

And,  now for the mystery bird of the day:  High in a tree, so I only got an underside view, a thrush size and shape bird, including thrush-type bill, with a white breast with heavy dark vertical streaking, white belly.  Yeah, I know, you’re saying “hermit”.  So was I except for one thing:  it had very distinct  white (maybe better termed very light gray) outer tail feathers, as seen from below. (Other tail feathers were grayish-brown underneath.)   Could a HETH ever show this kind of tail feather plumage?  And if not, other suggestions?  The bird was definitely larger that a sparrow, with perhaps a somewhat longer tail.  Thanks for any ideas.

Phil Pryde, San Carlos