Kumeyaay Lake crazy morn

phil Pryde

You can add one more name to the list of locations that is mind-blowingly crawling with migrants right now:  the west basin of Kumeyaay Lake in Mission Trails Regional Park.  

I hiked around the west basin on the circuit trail that goes around it, and in 50 minutes (7:50 - 8:40 a.m. Sat. morning) came up with the following: 
    8 species of warblers:  
           Black-thr. Gray  (5-6) 
           Townsend’s (3) 
           Wilson’s (at least 12-15) 
           Hermit (1) 
           Nashville (1) (I didn’t get a great view, but it definitely had an eye-ring, white on the belly, and a yellow throat.) 
           Orange-crowned (1) 
           Yellow (1 male seen, 2 heard) 
           C. Yellowthroat (several heard in the reeds) 
    3, maybe 4, species of Vireos: 
           Bell’s (at least 2 heard calling) 
           Warbling (2) 
           Hutton’s (1 that was bug-snarfing right in front of me at eye level.  Also possibly a 2nd one calling.) 
           Maybe  a Plumbeous, but not positive.  It had a big eye-ring and wing-bars, but wouldn’t cooperate. 
Also along the circuit trail:  
           Western Tanager 
           Western Wood-pewee (very close and cooperative) 
           Chat (heard) 
           B-H Grosbeak(s) 
As well as all the usual suspects. 
Plus, the cherry on the sundae as I was leaving the lake area:  a Least Bittern flew across the pond. 
No orioles or Swainson’s Thrushes. 

And,  now for the mystery bird of the day:  High in a tree, so I only got an underside view, a thrush size and shape bird, including thrush-type bill, with a white breast with heavy dark vertical streaking, white belly.  Yeah, I know, you’re saying “hermit”.  So was I except for one thing:  it had very distinct  white (maybe better termed very light gray) outer tail feathers, as seen from below. (Other tail feathers were grayish-brown underneath.)   Could a HETH ever show this kind of tail feather plumage?  And if not, other suggestions?  The bird was definitely larger that a sparrow, with perhaps a somewhat longer tail.  Thanks for any ideas. 

Phil Pryde, San Carlos

Join SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.