Re: City Nature Challenge - Saturday evening birds update

Philip Unitt

Dear friends,

I birded Balboa Park yesterday evening and today and can recommend the site of the former trash dump/landfill in the center of Balboa Park as a very easy site for photographing the Horned Lark. Lots of Vaux’s Swifts circling at eye level over the same area today and even below eye level from vantage points in Florida Canyon. The following list covers the west side of the park from the Marston House south to Inspiration Point, west through the center to Florida Canyon, including the section between Morley Field Drive and Upas Street where at least 3 female Black-chinned Hummingbirds still persist, the old landfill (with one somewhat late Savannah Sparrow on Friday evening), and Switzer Canyon (with the California Gnatcatcher just south of the corner of 28th and Maple). Also, I probably heard the Tropical Kingbird with a flock of Cassin’s Kingbirds at 6th and Juniper—I was trying to track down the high-pitched twittering call when I was rudely distracted by my bicycle tire suddenly going flat. I see from eBird that it has been reported as recently as 18 April.

I ran into Jim Rowoth of Sacramento, who was looking for the Greater Pewee. He said it was reported yesterday via eBird, but looking at that website now I don’t see any report more recent than 16 April.

I do see from eBird that John Bruin and Terry Hurst visited Marston Canyon this morning and added the Red-shouldered Hawk, Common Raven, and Lazuli Bunting, getting the list for the Balboa Park subset of the City Nature Challenge up to at least 64 species.

Good birding,

Philip Unitt

San Diego

English