Hooded Oriole: Carlsbad, Seascape Apts 2FEB 2018

Tito Gonzalez

I observed, heard, and photographed what appears to be a HOODED ORIOLE this morning, 2Feb 2018, at Seascape Apts. in Carlsbad (off Poinsettia Road).  It was foraging in a white-flowering Euc along the southeastern border of property between the car port and fence around 7:40 AM. I heard it give “wheet” calls. There were also two immature male Bullock’s Orioles in a nearby tree. This winter there have been 4 Bullock Orioles, an Orchard Oriole (seen by Paul L.), and now this bird at this general location area. The female Baltimore Oriole that was observed for many winters has not been seen this year. Photos are in following ebird report:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42447545

Tito Gonzalez

Carlsbad, CA