Lapland Longspur continues

phil Pryde

     The previously reported Lapland Longspur was still present at 2 p.m. today (Sat.) in with the large flock of Horned Larks (plus a few A. Pipits) in the NE corner of the Fiesta Isl. dog park.  If you go in the main gate, the HOLA flock when I was there was no more than a hundred yards in, on the left.
     The Longspur was very cooperative and I got a long look at it.  Based on Sibley’s depictions, I’d call it a first winter bird.  Is that what others thought?  There may still be two in the area, because the one I was studying looked slightly different than Gary’s pictures (brighter orange-brown on the wings, more like Sibley’s paintings, and blacker, more distinct malar stripe).

Phil Pryde,  San Diego