Re: Can anyone ID these geese in flight???

Greg Gillson <greggillson@...>

Aleutian Cackling Geese. As you noted, short neck and longer wings as compared with Canada. Dark breast with white neck ring and blackish collar under that helps separates from Ridgway's Cackling Goose.

As a fairly recent transplant from western Oregon I've had lots of practice. You may be interested in:

Greg

On Oct 25, 2017 8:58 AM, "Mark Stratton zostropz@... [SanDiegoRegionBirding]" <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply@...> wrote:

These were two of 27 birds that Charlie Jackson and I saw yesterday at Fiesta Island.  Is anyone able to tell from the flight shots if they are Cackling Geese or Canada's?  They look a little short necked but I don't know any of the other flight field marks.

Mark Stratton
North Park