Swainson's Hawk & Baird's Sandpiper at San Elijo Lagoon : 16SEP2017

Tito Gonzalez

I observed a BAIRD’S SANDPIPER and a SWAINSON’S HAWK this afternoon around 3pm, 16SEP2017, at San Elijo lagoon about 3/8 of a mile east of Rios Avenue. The sandpiper was foraging on the low tide mudflats, just north of bench and stayed a long time feeding. I saw another Baird’s 3 weeks ago at this exact location but it was a different individual. This bird has a yellow patch at base of bill (seen in photos) when viewed from left side. The earlier bird did not have this mark. The hawk suddenly appeared next to a TUVU moving west. It made a loop and then headed due east, circling and gaining elevation as it disappeared from sight. I was able to get good photos of both birds and they are included in following e-bird report.

Tito Gonzalez

Carlsbad, CA