Interesting Myiarchus Flycatcher; Carlsbad 4 SEPT 2017

Tito Gonzalez

I observed and heard an interesting Myiarchus flycatcher yesterday morning (4SEP 2107) in Carlsbad which appeared to be  a good candidate for a GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER. Analysis of photos, listening to call recordings on Xeno-canto, and documentation are ongoing. Feedback from a couple of experts are mixed. Despite all the caveats, I wanted to give location in case someone wanted to try to chase it. I tried to relocate it late yesterday afternoon without success. The location is the Golf Course Trail that cuts through the Crossing Golf course in Carlsbad. Park at Veteran’s Park at trail head  at 1530 Faraday (33.134512, -117.302226 ). Follow signs for golf course trail that leads to tunnel under the road. After coming out of tunnel, take trail to left that wraps around the green. The bird was observed in riparian area about 50 yards south of bridge along service road that runs southeast.

Tito Gonzalez

Carlsbad, CA