Yellow-crowned Night Heron: Batiquitos Lagoon 13AUG2017

Tito Gonzalez

I observed an immature YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON this morning, 13AUG2017, along the northern border of basin west of I-5. There are no E-bird reports of this species at Batiquitos Lagoon. There are recent reports of one at San Elijo Lagoon, but this is a different bird as this one is less mature, based on photos. Clearly this species is more common today than it was during the Bird Atlas period and these recent reports may be small examples of the species spreading northward. Photo is included in E-bird report.

Tito Gonzalez

Carlsbad, CA