Carlsbad Seawatch (6/24/17)

Jimmy McMorran

Hi Birders,

Maybe more of an interest to North San Diego County birders,but
a seawatch from 7:35 - 9:15 this morning from the bluff located just south of the intersection of Canon Road and Pacific Coast Highway (aka Carlsbad Blvd in this area) was ho-hum, but entertaining enough to keep me around for a bit.
Of note were:

Pacific Loon - 1
Black Storm-Petrel - 15-20 indvs (minimum count)
Black-vented Shearwater - 70+
COMMON MURRE - 1
Imm. Cooper's Hawk flyby with Rock Pigeon in talons!

Although lacking the dynamic of La Jolla Cove/Canyon, this area for those who don't know is a nice spot with easy parking generally, and is located looking out towards Carlsbad Canyon, another area in San Diego County where deeper water comes close to the coast. There were plenty of terns and other resident/seasonal birds and marine mammals around to keep me busy.

Good Birding,
Jimmy McMorran
Leucadia, CA