nesting Redheads, more Swainson's, Scissor-tailed

lehman.paul@verizon.net

On Friday the 23rd, there were 4 singing SWAINSON'S THRUSHES along the SD River in the stretch between the SD Mission and the stadium. This is more than usual in summer, and combined with the several other birds recently, it is a much better-than-average showing in recent years of territorial birds in the southern part of the county.

On Saturday the 24th, a check of the large, seasonal pond along the Dust Devil Trail at San Dieguito Lagoon in Del Mar produced a total of 16 REDHEADS, a female with 8 ducklings plus 5 bachelor males and 2 bachelorette females. Also a summering pair of NORTHERN SHOVELERS (present since spring) and 6 White-faced Ibis. Lots of nesting Gadwalls. This pond looks like good habitat for some of our scarcer migrant "freshwater shorebirds," although it may well be too dry by late summer when such species are most likely to occur.

Also Saturday, the much-reported, returning SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER continues in the trees near the playground equipment at Twin Trails Neighborhood Park in Rancho Penasquitos. It brought some food to give to an adult Western Kingbird, but we did not see any young birds.

--Paul Lehman & Barbara Carlson, San Diego