Lesser nighthawk

Nancy Christensen

Counted 31 Lesser Nighthawks last evening on Rangeland Road in Ramona. The birds were circling above the pond you cannot see from the road. This is about halfway down Rangeland, where there is a gated dirt road leading to the west. A white sign says Ramona Water District. The first birds arrived shortly after 8pm (sunset was 7:58). I could only count birds above the horizon, and my max count in one sweep was 31. About 8:20 the birds began to disperse, by 8:25 there were only a couple to be seen. I believe this is the third summer I have seen good numbers of Nighthawks at this location.

Nancy Christensen
Ramona

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
Chinese Proverb