Interesting bird call at the entrance of Flintkote Canyon Sunday morning May 7

Terry Hurst <thurstycat53@...>

Hello all,
Just getting the word out so folks can be on the lookout. This morning I heard the meow call of what might have been either a Green-tailed Towhee or even a Gray Catbird (although it sounded more like the Towhee). Definitely not a California Gnatcatcher. The bird was very shy and was staying in the bushes so I was unable to see it. eBird has no records of either one of these birds at this site so I know chances are very slim that it was one of those birds. For all I know it could have been a raccoon growling at me. :-) There were fresh Raccoon prints in the same area and I don't know what a growling Raccoon sounds like. Just a heads up especially since there have been some very interesting birds being reported there recently so one never knows what may drop in overnight. Heard (whatever it was), at the entrance gate of Flintkote Canyon. The same Canyon where the Rose-breasted Grosbeak has been reported.
BTW it was very muddy at the gate area and very slippery. I didn't venture much further then that because it started to pour. If you go out there anytime soon bring rubber boots just in case. And please find my mystery bird/Raccoon/whatever. :-)

Terry Hurst
Santee