Brown Boobies, loon flight

Paul Lehman

I spent an hour seawatching this morning starting at 6:30AM from the end of Seacoast Drive in Imperial Beach, and between 6:40-7:20AM had a total of 7 northbound Brown Boobies--likely coming off the roost on Los Coronados Islands. During the first half hour of light there was a major push of Pacific Loons--the best I've ever seen in spring in San Diego, where numbers in spring are typically fewer than from seawatch sites from L.A. westward. They were passing at a rate of 300/minute, so a total of about 4000 birds.

--Paul Lehman, San Diego