Super-belated Hammond's report from El Monte CP - 2/26/17

Steve Ritt

Mel's report of the Hammond's Fly at Balboa reminded me that I never posted about one that was at El Monte County Park in Lakeside last Sunday during the bird fest. It was just behind and east of the caretaker's house there, and extremely tricky to see/refind, as is often the case with Hammond's. But, though I'd mention it in case anyone wants to try another location. The rangers were told about it. Sorry for the late report; I'm now sick after pushing well beyond exhaustion for two weeks that ended days after the bird fest.

At least a dozen Lawrence's Goldfinches were in the Amsinckia/Fiddleneck fields about a mile west of the park as well. The continuing, returning Green-tailed Towhee also showed itself at the Tijuana Slough NWR visitors center that morning. The Painted Redstart continued at Crown Point.

On Wednesday, 3/1/17, a Black-throated Gray Warbler was at Maya St. x Jaeger Rd. in Spring Valley.

Steve Ritt
San Diego, CA