Oceanside March 3

Kenneth Weaver

I observed three Greater White-fronted Geese in the flooded field north of the east end
of the Oceanside Airport this morning about 9:00.  They were also present when I
passed by again about 11:00.  The birds, if still present, can be seen from the bike trail
or from Alex Road.

Two Black Skimmers rested on the beach north of the San Luis Rey River.  My earliest
record of this bird is Feb. 28.  I frequently see the skimmer offshore in the summer, but
they rarely roost at this easily accessible site and are not common in the late winter/
early spring.  Both birds were rather confiding.  A first-year Glaucous-winged Gull at the
same location was the only other “somewhat rare” bird that I noted.

Ken Weaver
Fallbrook
gnatcatcher@...