Re: Nestor Park still a hot spot Monday a.m.

Lisa Ruby

We did find the male Summer Tanager while following the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. It was on the Tesoro Grove side of the road. John first spotted it moving in the trees near the black fence by the building on the northeast corner and it later moved further north and we last saw it along the creek area next to the apartments, on the east side. We also had a Wilson's Warbler and multiple Townsend's there.

Lisa Ruby
Sabre Springs

On 1/30/2017 9:55 AM, phil Pryde PhilPinSD@... [SanDiegoRegionBirding] wrote:

I birded Nestor Park from 7 to 9 Monday morning, and it was still “hot”.  The first good bird to appear was a brilliantly colored male Baltimore Oriole, which reappeared 2-3 times later on.  It stayed mainly in the sycamores past the south end of the parking lot. I was joined around 8 by Lisa Ruby and John Bruin, and Alan and Susan Bond.  John and Lisa quickly pointed out a Black-and-White Warbler in a sycamore just to the left of the entrance into the park.  The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher was not observed until just before 9, when it made several passes back and forth across Grove Ave. and then settled in at the top of a Sycamore near the entrance to the Park, near where the B&W Warbler had been foraging earlier.  Outstanding photo ops. John and Lisa said they had a brief look at the Tropical Kingbird (I was elsewhere at that moment).  Other birds of interest were a (maybe two) Townsend’s Warblers and a small flock of American Goldfinches. And of course all the usual suspects. The only no show (at least prior to my leaving) was the reported Summer Tanager.

Phil Pryde