Nestor Park still a hot spot Monday a.m.

phil Pryde

I birded Nestor Park from 7 to 9 Monday morning, and it was still “hot”.  The first good bird to appear was a brilliantly colored male Baltimore Oriole, which reappeared 2-3 times later on.  It stayed mainly in the sycamores past the south end of the parking lot. I was joined around 8 by Lisa Ruby and John Bruin, and Alan and Susan Bond.  John and Lisa quickly pointed out a Black-and-White Warbler in a sycamore just to the left of the entrance into the park.  The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher was not observed until just before 9, when it made several passes back and forth across Grove Ave. and then settled in at the top of a Sycamore near the entrance to the Park, near where the B&W Warbler had been foraging earlier.  Outstanding photo ops. John and Lisa said they had a brief look at the Tropical Kingbird (I was elsewhere at that moment).  Other birds of interest were a (maybe two) Townsend’s Warblers and a small flock of American Goldfinches. And of course all the usual suspects. The only no show (at least prior to my leaving) was the reported Summer Tanager.
Phil Pryde