Early-bird Hummer?

phil Pryde

      Around 1 p.m. on Sat. Afternoon, while looking for the mythical female Hooded Merganser at Famosa Slough (box score to date:  elusive Merg 3, Phil 0), while walking along the channel N. of W Pt Loma Blvd, I saw a small hummer sitting on the single guy-wire of an electrical pole (this is the pole about 2/3 of the way to I-8 that has just one guy wire on the channel side; there is a bench near the pole).  It was facing me, and upon getting closer, the orange color around around its head was apparent and I thought “Allen’s”.  But then, just for a couple of seconds, it shifted position and I could see the entire right side of its back.  100% orangish, no green at all.  Possible early Rufous?  According to Unitt (p.312), they have (rarely) been seen this early in migration.
      If others are at the slough in the next few days, you might look around that pole and see if you can confirm an early Rufous there.
Phil Pryde
San Diego