American Redstart continues at Lake Hodges area

Lisa Ruby

Hi,

John Bruin spotted the American Redstart on the Bernardo Bay Trail today just before noon when he and I were covering the area for the Rancho Santa Fe CBC.

It was right where it had been previously reported. Not too far from the trail head near the bottom of the hill on West Bernardo Drive, sort of south of the pedestrian bridge entrance. It was in the willows on the lake bed side of the trail between a set of white signs requesting that people stay on the single track trail, and another sign on the hill side telling people to stay out of that area (sorry, I forget the exact wording). It was an incredibly hyper bird and covered a fair amount of area in a short time. The movement made it easy to spot, but hard to keep track of. It was not vocalizing.

Photos 4 and 5 in this gallery:

http://tinyurl.com/zzmdaf7

The lake has a lot more water in it and there is enough water where the trees had grown in for a small number of visible Coots, Green-winged Teals, and Mallards to be there. It's hard to see into those areas.

Lisa Ruby
Sabre Springs