Friday Oct. 21st. Storm-Petrel Chase

David Povey

John Weigel, Laura Keene, Christian Hagenlocher, and I did a run from Mission Bay to the Thirty Mile Bank.

All three are in the midst of a Big Year. Their target bird here was Least Storm-Petrel, so we skipped all the normal  local

birding zones, and made a beeline for the north end of the Thirty Mile Bank. The plan was to spend the day covering the

entire bank north to south if necessary. Interestingly we found the raft(s, right where we normal expect them. As always

on or over the L.A. Co. line This an area we had checked on Oct. 9th. and a recently as the 19th. without success.

We estimated the raft at about two thousand birds with about ten percent being LEAST STORM-PETRELS, we did see

a white-rumped storm-petrel in the flock for likely WILSON'S STORM-PETREL, the remainder were BLACK STORM-PETRELS.

There are photos of the flock and individuals. We did have a few Chapman's LEACH'S STORM-PETRELS away from the raft

area. Very, very little else on the bank (Red Phalaropes, Cassin's Auklets, Western, and California Gulls).

Congratulations and continued success to our three BIG YEAR AMIGOS!

partial species list;

Eared Grebe   10  (on the water mid San Diego Trough)

Black-vented Shearwater  33

WILSON' STORM-PETREL    1

Leach's Storm-Petrel     3

Black Storm-Petrel     1800   ( may  15-20 seen away from the raft area)

LEAST STORM-PETREL    200  (best number this year, pervious high maybe 15-20)

American Coot    1    (on the water mid San Diego Trough)

Red-necked Phalarope   25

Red Phalarope   6

Parasitic Jaeger   1   (seen on exit and return to Mission Bay Jetties)

Cassin's Auklets   65

SABINE'S GULL   1

Dave Povey

Dulzura