rev. Summer Tanager, Villa La Jolla Park, 26 SEP2016

Tito Gonzalez

After carefully reviewing my photos tonight, I now think the bird I saw today at Villa La Jolla Park is a female SUMMER TANAGER rather than a HEPATIC TANAGER, that I preliminarily reported earlier today. There is an apparent eye stripe that presents at the junction of the upper auriculars and lower supercilum that is not from dark feathers.  I don’t typically see this. In addition, the bird also had this odd behavior of perching with it’s wings slightly away from body (not in photos). Have people observed this? Could it be due to the high temperatures?  I have a link to two photos below (click to right to see 2nd photo).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81902992@N03/29330029524/in/dateposted-public/

Tito Gonzalez

Carlsbad, CA