Unusual Barn Swallow (plus bird report) for Fort Rosecrans Cemetery, Tues Sep 13.

Susan Smith

This morning I walked the cemetery, and it was once again pretty slow except for an AMERICAN REDSTART  just north of the Bennington Monument (~9), some of the usual expected migrant warblers and a couple of Olive-sided Flycatchers.   Of note was a possible Hooded Warbler that flew into a large pine in the SE Loop area, but I couldnt get a definitive look at it for a positive ID, because the  lawn people turned on the spray sprinklers so I had to leave (I returned later, but could not refind the bird).   Perhaps most spectacular was an ABERRANT BARN SWALLOW with strange, broad white tail feathers.  When I first saw it flying low and perching on the grave markers in the Dip area, I thought somehow a white piece of paper or white piece of plastic got stuck to its tail, but then saw that it had two long, broad white tail feathers where I think the two thin and dark outer retrices should be. Very strange looking bird!!! Otherwise, it seemed to look like a Barn Swallow.  Has anyone seen this bird?  If not, I am hoping some photographers will look for it when you are out birding the cemetery.  eBird list for the day is below:  Sue Smith, Del Mar, CA

Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery, San Diego, California, US
Sep 13, 2016 8:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments: mostly partly cloudy (high clouds, with some breaks); temp 66-69, wind s and WSW at about 0-4 mph. relatively quiet bird-wise, but pockets of activity.
43 species (+6 other taxa)

cormorant sp. 150 approx., mostly on navy barricade floats below on east side.
Brown Pelican 2
Great Egret 1 flyover
Cooper's Hawk 1
Buteo sp. 1
Western Gull 1
Mourning Dove 4
pigeon/dove sp. 2
Anna's Hummingbird 8
Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird 2
hummingbird sp. 3
Olive-sided Flycatcher 2 At least, and possibly three. One seen in 'Dip' area western fenceline; another near 'Eucalyptus Grove,' another at SE loop. Large flycatcher, with largish pointed crown perching upright with dark crown and mask extending down in a curve below the malar (no eyering, and eye seemed almost invisible too) with streaked, sooty grey vest and flanks contrasting sharply with white throat and belly (white continuing uninterrupted from throat to belly.
Western Wood-Pewee 3
Pacific-slope Flycatcher 3
Pacific-slope/Cordilleran Flycatcher (Western Flycatcher) 6
Black Phoebe 15
Say's Phoebe 3
Cassin's Kingbird 2
Western Kingbird 1
California Scrub-Jay 5
American Crow 5
Common Raven 4
Barn Swallow 18 One spectacular looking bird with aberrant broad white tail feathers. I at first thought a piece of white plastic or white paper had gotten stuck in the tail, but looked closer (it was flying back and forth in the Dip area and alighting on tombstones). It looked as if the two outer tail feathers, which usually are dark, thin and long, grew out as broad white tail feathers. I hope someone gets a photo of this bird.
Bushtit 10
House Wren 3
Bewick's Wren 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Wrentit 5
Western Bluebird 25
California Thrasher 10
Northern Mockingbird 11
European Starling 80
Orange-crowned Warbler 20
Common Yellowthroat 2
American Redstart 1 Flew in from off the eastern Bay side into a pine just north of the Bennington Monument. HY male (?), with yellowish and black tail T-shaped tail marking, and yellow sides tinged with orange red, and yellow wing patches.
Yellow Warbler 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) 10
Black-throated Gray Warbler 1
Townsend's Warbler 2
Wilson's Warbler 8
Chipping Sparrow 10
Dark-eyed Junco 5
Song Sparrow 6
California Towhee 8
Spotted Towhee 10
Western Tanager 4
Hooded Oriole 2 two HY birds flew in from ocean toward Dip area, calling.
House Finch 55
Lesser Goldfinch 15

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31565988

Susan Smith