Rose-breasted Grosbeak at San Diego Botanic Garden, Sept 5

Susan Smith

Today, Labor Day, on the San Diego Botanic Garden Bird walk led by Rita Campbell, a basic plumaged male ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK appeared, sitting on the northern fenceline of the Overlook Area, and seen by some of the group. It was first spotted by Laurel Wasserman, and photographed by Ginny Golden, and will be posted in eBird when the list is finalized.  Expected migrants like Black-headed Grosbeak, Wilson's and Yellow Warbler, and Warbling Vireo were also seen.
    Also, a first for the garden over the Labor Day weekend, was the occurrence of a pair of Coastal California Gnatcatchers, first seen on Saturday, Sept 3, in the Native Garden, near the native peoples dome shelter west of the pond. Then today a pair, possibly the same ones, were seen and heard well by many of us in the Overlook area, amid the preserved coastal sage scrub there. We have been hoping for years that these gnatcatchers, listed as Threatened under the Endangered Species Act,  would establish here. Time will tell whether they will stay and breed. We sure hope so.  sue

Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological  Consulting
Del Mar, CA