FW: BVAS / Grande pelagic Aug. 21, 2016

David Povey

Sorry for the late post. I sent this out this morning but it seems lost in the ether zone. This is an updated

version.

Sent: Monday, August 22, 2016 7:40 AM
To: 'sandiegoregionbirding@...'
Subject: BVAS / Grande pelagic Aug. 21, 2016

The San Diego pelagic on Aug. 21, 2016 went off in sloppy conditions. Bird numbers were Ok, but lacked in

numbers of species. We did get very good looks at CRAVERI'S MURRELETS.  We counted 10 on the day

in at best fair to poor alcid view conditions.

The only other species of note for us were LEACH'S STORM-PETRELS. Not usually seen in any numbers inshore.

We had perhaps twenty five+ for the trip. The majority chapmani dark  rumped or intermediate white rumped,

but a couple of bright white rumped birds had us looking at photos for possible Townsend's or Wilson's Storm-Petrels.

These likely nominate race Leach's Storm-Petrels.

A bit of good news on the seabird reproduction front, Black-vented Shearwaters appear to have done well this year

as we saw good numbers on bright fresh plumaged birds I take to be birds of the year.  All clearly thriving on this

years mass of Northern Anchovy locally.

The last species of note was an apparent albino Brandt's Cormorant on the security fence at submarine base near

Ballast Point. This bird appears to lack any pigment in its feathers, legs, feet and bill. (many photos). We were alert

of this bird's presents by an alert birder on one of the harbor cruises.

Sea surface temps were 69-73 mostly 70 degrees.

partial species list offshore;

Pink-footed Shearwater  67

Sooty Shearwater   7

Black-vented Shearwater   750

Leach's Storm-Petrel chapmani 25

Leach's Storm-Petrel leucorhoa (?)   2

Ashy Storm-Petrel   3

Black Storm-Petrel   110

Brown Booby    4

Red-necked Phalarope     40

CRAVERI'S MURRELET     10

Cassin's Auklet      1

Common Tern   12

Elegant Tern    108

Dave Povey

Dulzura

p.s. The next BVAS / Grande trip is Sept 25th. and only has 9 spots left call 619 223-1627