BVAS / Grande pelagic Aug. 21, 2016

David Povey

The San Diego pelagic on Aug. 21, 2016 went off in sloppy conditions. Bird numbers were Ok, but lacked in

numbers of species. We did get very good looks at CRAVERI'S MURRELETS.  We counted eight on the day

in at best fair to poor alcid view conditions.

The only other species of note for us were LEACH'S STORM-PETRELS. Not usually seen in any numbers inshore.

We had perhaps twenty five for the trip. The majority chapmani dark  rumped or intermediate white rumped,

but a couple of bright white rumped birds had us looking at photos for possible Townsend's or Wilson's Storm-Petrels.

These likely nominate race Leach's Storm-Petrels.

The last species of note was an apparent albino Brandt's Cormorant on the security fence at submarine base near

Ballast Point. This bird appears to lack any pigment in its feathers, legs, feet and bill. (many photos).

Sea surface temps were 69-73 mostly 70 degrees.

partial species list offshore;

Pink-footed Shearwater  67

Sooty Shearwater   7

Black-vented Shearwater   750