From: Eitan Altman eitanaltman@... [SanDiegoRegionBirding]
To: SanDiegoRegionBirding
Sent: Fri, Jul 29, 2016 4:04 pm
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Scissor-tailed Flycatcher in Rancho Penasquitos - Yes

Good work Bessie!!

The young bird looks like a juvenile Kingbird not a STFL.

Does this indicate a potential hybridization or just a really well developed maternal instinct on the part of the STFL??

For anyone else who goes, I popped by yesterday afternoon to try for the STFL and found an active Cassin's Kingbird nest that is easily visible.  There is a large eucalyptus tree right near the corner of the sand volleyball pit and the fenceline.  The nest is located about 30-40ft up in one of the large branches pointing in the direction of the volleyball pit.  There are two juvenile CAKI sitting in the nest, and I observed both parents bringing food to the babies.

Eitan Altman
San Carlos

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 3:45 PM, Bessie Liu bessieyliu@... [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply@...> wrote:

I went to the park and looked for the bird around 11:00am. I first saw two birds across the fence of the soccer field, near the elementary school. They flew, and I re-found them around 12:00pm on the fence near the baseball field in the park. Looks like they are flying around the area catching flies. From the look of them, I think it's a female and a juvenile, since the adult bird is not very red and the tail is not extremely long. The other smaller bird doesn't have a long tail, and was fed by the adult bird.

Photos: https://flic.kr/p/JG7YvG
Happy birding,
Bessie Liu
Rancho Penasquitos