Coastal Adult Male Western Tanager San Diego Botanic Garden, Encinitas,July 29

Susan Smith

An adult, breeding plumaged male WESTERN TANAGER was seen this morning by Gretchen Nell and myself in the Tropical Fruit Garden section of the San Diego Botanic Garden, suggesting that  post breeding disbursal and migration is underway.  We tried to relocate the Yellow-rumped Warbler seen on July 21, but did not see or hear it. EBird list is below.  Sue Smith, Del Mar, CA

San Diego Botanic Garden, San Diego, California, US
Jul 29, 2016 7:00 AM - 11:15 AM
Protocol: Area
20.0 ac
Comments: With Gretchen Nell. Warm, sunny with haze, 72-81 deg F; wind WNW at 0-2 mph. We checked the bluebird boxes in overflow lot (still empty) and in the Hamilton Garden. In the latter area we were surprised to find it to contain not only a new nest (old aborted nest cleaned out in early June), but the dead remains of an adult bluebird (2-3 weeks old?) and three eggs. Not known whether bird died of old age, predation or egg binding.
28 species (+2 other taxa)

Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 15 off site, most perched on light posts west of overflow lot.
Mourning Dove 18
Anna's Hummingbird 10
Allen's Hummingbird 2
Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird 35
hummingbird sp. 4
Nuttall's Woodpecker 4
Pacific-slope Flycatcher 4 three adjacent to australia garden, not far from Dragon Tree nest site. Another heard in Fruit garden.
Black Phoebe 8
Hutton's Vireo 3
Western Scrub-Jay 3
American Crow 17
Bushtit 10
House Wren 4
Bewick's Wren 5
Western Bluebird X dead bird in Hamilton Garden box
California Thrasher 1
Northern Mockingbird 9
Orange-crowned Warbler 13 2 fledglings
Common Yellowthroat 2 bamboo garden
Song Sparrow 7
California Towhee 14
Spotted Towhee 7
Western Tanager 1 Fruit Garden in Blue Lilly Pilly
Brown-headed Cowbird 1 Fledgling being fed by an adult male Hooded Oriole in Australian Garden
Hooded Oriole 15 One adult seen feeding fledgling cowbird. First cowbird parasitization we have documented in the garden.
House Finch 52
Lesser Goldfinch 9
House Sparrow 10
Scaly-breasted Munia 9 group at Native Garden pond (a favorite spot), and others heard in other parts of the garden.

Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological  Consulting
Del Mar, CA