Unusual mid-summer coastal sighting of Audubon's Warbler, SD Botanic Garden, Encintas, CA, July21,

Susan Smith

Today at about 7:40 am I got good looks at a YELLOW-RUMPED (AUDUBON'S) WARBLER in the Australia section of the San Diego Botanic Garden in Encinitas. On arriving at the Garden at 7 am,  I had thought I'd heard one chip in eucs in the main parking lot, but dismissed it as impossible. Coastal occurrences of the species in midsummer are rare, and I was unable to find any records for the 3rd week in July for western San Diego County.. ( I also heard what I thought was a Western Tanager pit-er-ick in the same location in the Australian Garden, but was unable to locate this bird. )

Earlier this month, on July 5, 2016, Tito Gonzalez also reported a YRWA in Villa La Jolla Park. He mentioned there are no coastal July observations in E-bird for San Diego county and only a few in Southern California.

My eBird list, including further details, is inserted below.   Sue Smith, Del Mar, CA

San Diego Botanic Garden, San Diego, California, US
Jul 21, 2016 7:00 AM - 9:00 AM
Protocol: Area
19.0 ac
Comments: Sunny, hot, wind 0-2 mph from East (mostly no wind). While not entered, I thought I heard the call of a western tanager in the same area I saw an unusual yellow-rumped warbler ine the Australian Garden at about at about 7:50 am.
29 species (+1 other taxa)

Cooper's Hawk 1
Eurasian Collared-Dove 1 flyover
Mourning Dove 54 an unusually high count of MODOs for the garden today.
Anna's Hummingbird 9
Allen's Hummingbird 2
Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird 22
Nuttall's Woodpecker 5
Pacific-slope Flycatcher 3
Black Phoebe 8
Cassin's Kingbird 1
Hutton's Vireo 4
Western Scrub-Jay 4
American Crow 17 including a small group feeding on Aloe blossom nectar
Bushtit 18
House Wren 2
Bewick's Wren 9
Wrentit 2
Western Bluebird 2
California Thrasher 3
Northern Mockingbird 10
Orange-crowned Warbler 6
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) 1 I had thought I had heard one as soon as I got out of the car in the main parking lot, but dismissed it as impossible. Then, about 40 minutes later saw an individual in a tall eucalyptus in the Australian Garden next to the Eucalyptus interpretive sign, and then it same down close to me within 25 feet or so. It looked to be a first fall male with yellow rump, throat and sides of breast, but with muted streaking above and on flanks. White undertail spots quite visible.
Song Sparrow 12
California Towhee 12
Spotted Towhee 10
Hooded Oriole 12
House Finch 50
Lesser Goldfinch 9
House Sparrow 7
Scaly-breasted Munia 5 two adults with fledgling at Native Garden pond; heard also at two other locations in garden (overflow lot) and near Hamilton Garden.

Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological  Consulting
Del Mar, CA