RBSA at Lake Murray

phil Pryde

I encountered what I believe is my first Red-breasted Sapsucker at Lake Murray this morning (Tues.) at about 9 a.m. along the bike path on the west side of the San Carlos arm. It was in a well-pecked sapsucker tree (lots of parallel drilling rows in the upper main branches) that's about 100 yards south of the Osprey nesting platform, on the lake side of the bike path. Also of interest: two Least Bitterns encountered, one calling from rushes a little south of the sapsucker tree, and one flying across the upper end of the Cowles arm. Also a Sora calling near the sapsucker tree. And a male Allen's hummer acting territorial also at the upper end of the Cowles arm.
Phil Pryde