Lake Murray, Wed. a.m.

phil Pryde

I did a tour around the Del Cerro (westernmost) arm of Lake Murray Wed. between 8:30 and 9:45 a.m., and the most interesting observation was flocks of both Tree Swallows and White-throated Swifts. There were probably 6-10 birds in each flock. The TRSWs stayed over the water and the WTSWs were over the open Del Cerro hillside west of the lake. Since both species winter here, I assume these were some sort of feeding flocks that just happened to be there at the same time.
The resident Allen's Hummer was in its favorite tree near the north end of the Del Cerro arm.
Also of interest was a tagged TV in the flock that regularly roosts in the Eucs on the west side of the Del Cerro arm. On his wing was a white tag with a black "N4" on it; I think this bird has been reported previously. Sooo, he's still there.
Ducks included a female Ring-neck, a Bufflehead, several Redheads, and lots of Gadwall. The female Goldeneye reported earlier wasn't located, but might have been out in the middle somewhere.
Phil Pryde