North County Black-and-white Warbler

buck fairbanks

A "new" North County Black-and-white Warbler was seen on the Oceanside CBC Sunday at El Camino Country Club. We saw it in an area that seems not to be restricted access, unlike the rest of the course. It was working the trunks of large elm trees nuthatch-style along a permanent water course that drains a large part of the course. This is at the intersection of private roads Palmer and Valley Glen, just to the west of the north end of the El Camino parking lot. There is an "auxiliary " parking area there, created by utility easements.

This area is consistently birdy, with waxwings, warblers, bluebirds and woodpeckers, amongst others, in the area, presumably due to the available water. An unidentifiable (by me) oriole was also seen Sunday in the tops of the Eucalyptus trees.

Michael Martin

Oceanside, CA