Assorted rarities, Dec 20

Tom Benson

Sandy Koonce and I spent the day (Dec 20) birding around San Diego, mostly from Imperial Beach to Balboa Park, in search of several wintering rarities in the county. Our day's results are summarized below, including links to eBird checklists with photos.

Tom Benson
San Bernardino, CA

Hits:

Nelson's Sparrow - one in the lemonadeberry along Seacoast Drive just southeast of Descanso showed quite well from 6:45 - 7:30 AM.

Orchard Oriole - the female at 1052 15th Street in Imperial Beach (found yesterday by Paul Lehman) was seen this morning, and was calling frequently, shortly after 7:30 AM.

Hepatic Tanager - the male continued behind (southeast) of Marston House in Balboa Park, being seen briefly around 10 AM, although it took an hour to locate. We did not see any other tanagers or the Red-naped Sapsucker seen there yesterday.

Townsend's Solitaire - continuing at the intersection of Russ and Park; we found it on our second attempt by flushing it from the large shrub adjacent to the high school sign on the northeast corner of the intersection. A male Hermit Warbler was also on the college campus.

Snow Geese (2) - continuing at the J Street mudflats

Thick-billed Kingbird - continuing at the Poggi Creek greenbelt in Chula Vista shortly after 11 AM.

Zone-tailed Hawk - one flew into the Turkey Vulture roost at the Safari Park at 4:05 PM.

Misses:

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - we stopped briefly at the 19th Street slough in National City with no luck.

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - we spent an hour searching for the bird in Collier Park in Ramona with no success.