From: "Stan Walens stan.walens@... [SanDiegoRegionBirding]" <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply@...>
Date: December 2, 2015 at 9:44:12 AM PST
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla Cove: s-o-o-o-o sl-o-o-o-o-w

Been at the Cove regularly, scouting for this Saturday’s Audubon walk.

The wind has been light and variable, usually from the east in the morning, and from the northwest in the later afternoon.

Migration has been really sputtery.
About 350-400 Pacific loons/hour, almost all using offshore winds and flying high off the water. No big flights of thousands and thousands of birds this season. Maybe they’re migrating further offshore, maybe there just aren’t many.
Some red-throated and common loons.

Duck numbers so low that they make Jeb Bush’s poll numbers look stratospheric.

3000-3500 Bonaparte’s gulls, mostly far offshore. I’m going blind looking at BOGU underwings, trying to pick out a little or black-headed gull.
Hundreds of Cassin’s auklets in the canyon, but no other alcids.

Very few rocky shorebirds, so a 15-second appearance this morning by a black oystercatcher was a nice surprise.

Off to church for Terce now, to pray for inclement weather.

Stan Walens, San Diego

P.S.: no news in the last month about the Masked-type booby from Oceanside that is in rehab. Could be alive, dead, or even released already.