A couple of interesting (but not exciting) sightings

phil Pryde

Yesterday morning (Mon. 16th), while showing friends around east county birding venues, I had two sighting of modest interest, both in Lakeside.
First, at Lindo Lake, in the dried up eastern portion, but within 100 feet of the dike, there was a juvenile female Vermillion Flycatcher (the yellow bellied variety) feeding from the low green plants that stick up 2-3 feet above the dead grass. I hadn't seen a yellow-bellied VEFL in years, so it took a while for it to dawn on me what it was.
A little later, at Silverwood Wildlife Sanctuary, we observed a rather late (migrating? wintering?) Swainson's Thrush. We had good looks at it from less than 30 feet away; eye-ring, buffy wash on the upper breast, uniform colored back, etc. A little later, a HETH also showed up, so we good looks at both thrushes within about a ten minute period.
Phil Pryde