Bewick's Wrens

phil Pryde

Regarding John's call for info on suburban BEWRs, I had a pair nesting in a big, dense hedge in the front yard on our 7000 sq. ft. residential lot (that's surrounded by other houses) in San Carlos two years ago. I can't confirm whether the nesting was successful or not. We had to get the hedge trimmed back a bit, and it is currently being scouted out by House Sparrows and Mockingbirds.

In the same category of possibly urbanizing birds, we also have a pair of Nuttall's Woodpeckers that periodically work over the Liquidambar trees and telephone poles near our house. They nest somewhere else, though, location unknown.

Phil Pryde