Inland birding

phil Pryde

Apologies for the late post, but I've been out of town the last two days. No new birds to report, but Sat. a.m. on Rangeland Road there were Mountain Bluebirds in the fields on both sides of the road, at least a half dozen on the west side and a dozen or so the east side. The Bald Eagles weren't on their nest, but I found them perched up in a leafless tree about a hundred yards to the SSE of the nest tree. A large flock of Lark Sparrows were on the ground near the north end of Rangeland Road. Saw one Ferruginous Hawk on the way out close to the south end of Rangeland. Sadly, didn't have time to go to the trails area where the Zonies were being seen at about the same time.
Only thing of interest at the Ramona Pond were 5 White Pelicans.
For anyone who hasn't yet made their way out to Old Mine Road west of Ranchita to see the Lewis' Woodpeckers, I made my first visit there, and found them very easy to locate. At 0.6 miles up Old Mine Road, the road forks (and deteriorates), so I paused there and about 50 yards straight ahead is a large very dead tree. The first LEWO was busily working high up on that dead tree. On the way out, I spotted two more LEWOs on the telephone pole nearest to O'Brien Road (a side road off of Old Mine).
Phil Pryde