Re: Another Summer Tanager

Sara Baase Mayers

Yet another Summer Tanager: one was in our front yard yesterday
afternoon (Nov. 1), presumably female - it appeared all yellow and
greenish yellow.

On 11/1/2014 5:32 PM, 'Phil Unitt' unitt@cox.net [SanDiegoRegionBirding] wrote:
Dear friends,

This afternoon I took a walk through Hillcrest and the northern arm of
Balboa Park. Along Richmond St. between Myrtle and Brookes Ave. I heard
the distinctive “pittituck” of a Summer Tanager, just around the corner
from Jim Wilson’s house. A species that seems to become more prevalent
with every passing winter. Like every other specimen of the Summer
Tanager from coastal southern California, the one that Trent Stanley
picked up after it killed itself against a window at the zoo on 4
September was of the smaller, darker eastern subspecies. It was in the
middle of molt, suggesting it may have arrived where it intended to
winter even in late August.

Good birding,

Philip Unitt

San Diego