FRNC, Point Loma -- Least Flycatcher, Magnolia Warbler, other birds, 27 Sep 2021

Gary Nunn

An early AM circuit this morning around Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery, Point Loma turned up a small trove of nice birds, particularly in the Empidonax department.

Best find was a LEAST FLYCATCHER near the Plumbago capensis "hedge" along Catalina Highway, down in the dip in the highway, easily located at that time by rapid-fire "whitting" calls.  It flew off, whitting as it went, and I finally caught up with it over by "The Wall'', on the east side of the cemetery, feeding from grave marker tops in-an-out of the scrub behind the wall.  It was not relocated soon after by Jim Pawlicki who came to take a look for it.  In addition one GRAY FLYCATCHER, two HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHER, an OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, a MAGNOLIA WARBLER, found by Jim Pawlicki, last seen in the eucalyptus trees behind "The Wall", also a PLUMBEOUS VIREO, and a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW.

Many birds were moving about in the inclement weather conditions although it did seem to remain dry at the cemetery while I was there.

--
Gary Nunn
Pacific Beach