More info re Whydahs

phil Pryde

Update on the San Carlos Whydahs: About 7:05 p.m. this evening there was again a PTWH on a Tp wire near the seed feeders at 6235 Lake Leven Dr.  This one was clearly a juvenile; it had a small body (size of a sparrow), no red at all on the bill, and its tail was at most a foot long.  After a while he flew to the highest Tp wire, where he was shortly joined by an only slightly larger Whydah.  This was the first time I’ve seen two together at this location. The two then flew together into a densely leafed tree across the street from 6235, and ceased making their sip-sip-sip-sip-sip call, apparently planning to spend the night there.

These two were both smaller than the larger first PTWH I saw at this site a couple of weeks ago. So, there are at least 3 male Whydahs who visit this site, make use of the seed feeders here, and may overnight here.  No females have been seen here that I’ve heard about.

Given the more comprehensive information that Justyn provided a few days ago, it certainly seems that the Whydahs are well on their way to becoming established in the county.  Is this good, bad, or indifferent?  We’ll know in due time.

Phil Pryde
San Carlos