Re: Least Storm-Petrel on SOUTH SAN DIEGO BAY

Matt Sadowski

After a 13:05 scan I don't see it flying around anymore. May have moved north into wider central bay area off Grand Caribe, Attu Ave., or Delta Beach viewpoints.

Matt Sadowski

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021, 12:03 PM Matt Sadowski via groups.io <mattsadowski78=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Still doing laps around south bay at 1200. Best bet would be to scope from the South Bay Bio Parking dike that extends east into the bay towards saltworks.

Matt Sadowski

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021, 11:46 AM lehman.paul@... via groups.io <lehman.paul=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Matt Sadowski just called at 11:30AM Tuesday to report a Least
Storm-Petrel flying around on South San Diego Bay! He watched it fly
from north of the saltworks fly down to the southwest corner of the Bay
off Emory Cove. Obviously it could go anywhere from there. Possible
vantage points to check would be off Emory Cove, Grand Caribe in
Coronado Cays, or Chula Vista Bayfront Park. Needless to say, a scope
would presumably be essential. Good luck! There is at least one previous
record for San Diego Bay. Such Bay records MIGHT be the result of a bird
coming on board a fishing boat offshore at night and then getting tossed
overboard once back at port.

Earlier in the morning at salt works Pond 20, we could not re-find the
Semipalmated Sandpiper, but did have one juv Lesser Yellowlegs and a
very surprising duo of JUVENILE Ruddy Turnstones, which breaks the
previous 'early' arrival date of juveniles by NINE days.

--Paul Lehman, San Diego