Fledgling barn owl in my canyon

Jean Dittmyer

Awakened this morning to crows attacking a baby barn owl that should not yet be out of the nest box. The bird is not yet totally well feathered and is maybe twenty feet from his nest box, in another pine tree. He is very exposed, and if one can read bird posture, seems frightened.  I don’t see parents near by. I tried calling animal rescue, but they are closed until nine.

I don’t think this youngster can survive without some help. What should i do? The trees are in our canyon behind our house, accessible from a side street. If someone were to try to rescue him, it would take a big ladder. Big.

Email me off list at jeandittmyer@....

--
Jean Dittmyer
Jeandittmye@...